ARC project in the gallery
The Cooper Art Gallery in Barnsley stands on Church Street, within the central Barnsley Conservation Area, the oldest part of Barnsley which dates back over 800 years.
Originally the site of the Barnsley grammar school since 1660, it was rebuilt in the 18th century, and in 1913 Mr Samuel Joshua Cooper purchased the building to house his rich variety of collections.
ARC Engineers Ltd provided Civil and Structural design services to the project which involved the extension to the rear of the building to provide additional gallery space, as well as modifications and alterations to the existing gallery building which remained open throughout the construction. The extension has a contemporary style and it includes a green wall feature, believed to be the first in Barnsley.
The client was Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, and the Architect GHM of Horsforth Leeds.